The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are one of the most prestigious international scholarships in the world.
The programme was established in 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university.
While at Cambridge, Scholars pursue full range of subjects available at the University and are spread through its departments and Colleges.
Our Alumni are pursuing further study or employment across many sectors of society. Despite the relative youth of the programme, Gates Cambridge Alumni are increasingly taking on leadership roles and applying their knowledge and skills to improve the lives of others.
At a glance
- First class of Scholars took up their awards in 2001
- Currently more than 1,100 Gates Cambridge Scholars and Alumni from over 95 countries
- 90 new Scholarships awarded each year: 40 in US round 50 in international round
- About 230 Scholars from 80 countries studying in Cambridge
- Over 900 Alumni from more than 80 countries