If you are shortlisted for a Gates Cambridge interview you will have already gone through an incredibly competitive process.
You will be invited for a 20-minute interview and, depending on where you are, you can either attend in person or choose to be interviewed by Skype or by telephone.
There are four broadly subject-based interview panels:
- Biological Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Social Sciences
Each panel usually consists of a representative of the Trust, two academics and a former Gates Cambridge scholar. Each interview has four main sections:
1. Welcome and introduction
- The Chair will introduce the panel, set out the format of the interview, and provide any other essential information to allow for a productive session.
2. Gates Cambridge
- What you know about the Gates Cambridge Scholarships
- Your motivation for applying
- Why you think you could be a Gates Cambridge Scholar
- Your thoughts on the opportunities and responsibilities that a prestigious, full-cost scholarship at one of the world's leading universities brings
3. Academic and career plans
- Your academic work to date - can you convincingly communicate your passion for, and the importance of, your chosen subject?
- Your proposed degree at Cambridge - why you want to do it and why you believe Cambridge is the right place for you to study.
- Your career plans - can you convincingly link your application for both a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and your proposed course at Cambridge to your future career plans?
- You may also be asked probing intellectual or ethical questions, to which there are no 'right' answers.
4. Final thoughts and any questions you might have.
- A chance to add anything further you would like the interview panel to consider, and to ask any questions you may have.