There are two application rounds:
- Round 1: US citizens normally resident in the USA
- Round 2: citizens of all countries other than the USA (except the United Kingdom) and US citizens normally resident outside the USA
|What stage?||Round 1||Round 2|
|Applications open||1 September 2013||1 September 2013|
|Application deadline||15 October 2013*||2 December 2013*|
|Supporting documents deadline||14 days after submitting application||14 days after submitting application|
|References deadline||14 days after submitting application||14 days after submitting application|
|Trust shortlisting||Mid-December||Early March|
|Shortlisted candidates invited to interview||Late December||Early March|
|Interviews||31 January & 1 February 2014 (USA)||26 & 27 March 2014 (Cambridge, UK)|
|Scholarships offered||Early February||Late March|
Once you have submitted your application you and your referees will receive an email notification from the Graduate Admissions Office within 30 hours explaining how to upload supporting documents and references. You must submit this documentation by the deadlines given.
Once your application has been received, Gates Cambridge will ask academic departments in Cambridge to rank their very best candidates. A shortlisting committee then applies the four main criteria of the Scholarships to produce a final interview list.
We hold interviews in the USA in early February for Round 1 candidates and in Cambridge in late March for Round 2 candidates. If you are unable to attend in person we will interview you by Skype or phone. You will be told within a week of the interview whether you have been successful.
We advise that you begin your application as early as possible and do not wait until the deadline.
- You must submit your application no later than midnight (UK time) on the dates given. Gates Cambridge cannot guarantee that applications submitted after the deadlines will be considered.
- You must supply all supporting documents (transcripts and anything else required by the department) within 14 days of submitting your application.
- You must supply references (two academic, one personal) within 14 days of submitting your application.
- If English is not your first language you will need to submit your language test scores.
*Note: if a course deadline is earlier than the relevant funding deadline above (for example, the Faculty of History) you must apply by the earlier course deadline.