The University of Cambridge is normally ranked in the top three universities worldwide. It typically receives over 9,000 applications for postgraduate study and research from non-British applicants, approximately 1,700 of whom take up their place at Cambridge.
Round 1 (USA)
- c. 800 eligible applicants apply
- 200 are highly ranked by departments in Cambridge
- 100 are invited to interview
- 40 offered a Gates Cambridge Scholarship after interview
Round 2: (International)
- c. 3,500 eligible applicants apply
- 250 are highly ranked by departments in Cambridge
- 110 are invited to interview
- 55 offered a Gates Cambridge Scholarship after interview
While these numbers may seem daunting, many Scholars thought they would not win a Gates Cambridge Scholarship but were able to persuade the interview panel of their fit with the programme. So, if you have fully researched the Gates Cambridge Scholarship and the University of Cambridge and feel you meet our criteria, apply by the relevant deadline.