Processing your data
This page explains what personal information we gather when you visit the Gates Cambridge website (www.gatescambridge.org) and details how that information is used.
Who will process my personal information?
The information published here applies to the use of your personal information (also known as ‘personal data’) by Gates Cambridge through the viewing or use of its main website (www.gatescambridge.org).
Personal information collected
When you visit www.gatescambridge.org we use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various
parts of the site. For information about how Google Analytics uses your personal information, please see http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/ and https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245.
We also collect the request made by your browser to the server hosting the website which includes the IP address, the date and time of connection and the page you ask for. We use this information to ensure the security of our websites and we delete it after a maximum of 3 months. We may use and disclose it as necessary in the event of a security concern or incident.
Cookies and web storage
If you do not enable cookies, you can still use the site but you will be required to enter your password each time you visit. If you enable cookies you can block or remove them at any time using the settings in your browser. If you block cookies, this may prevent you from taking full advantage of our website.
The table below explains the first party cookies features that our site may use depending on active services and actions by website visitors.
|ssess*||Session ID, required by the website to track your session.||Until end of session|
|X-Mapping-*||Used by our website’s load balancer||Until end of session|
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org
This site runs Google Analytics, which uses four cookies for tracking visitors to the site.
- These cookies store information about what time the current visit occurred, whether the visitor has been to the site before, and what site referred the visitor to the web page.
- No data specific to any identifiable user is retained, and we do not share our data with any other Google services.
- With the values gained from these cookies Google Analytics can interpret journeys through our website content, give us information about how people use our site and so allow us to improve it.
- Due to shortcomings in Google Analytics the cookies for www.gatescambridge.org are returned to any web site in gatescambridge.org. We believe that the Google Analytics code on these other sites will ignore these extra cookies.
- Google Analytics information about privacy and cookies may be found at http://www.google.com/analytics/tos.html and https://developers.google.com/analytics/resources/concepts/gaConceptsCookies.
- As a user you may opt out of the process Google Analytics uses to collect traffic log data (should your web browser be compatible). Google provides a browser add-on that enables a user to opt out of receiving Google Analytics cookies – http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
|_ga||Persistent for 2 years|
|_gat||Persistent for 10 minutes|
|_gat_cam||Persistent for 10 minutes|
|_gid||Persistent for 1 day|
The use of your personal information in the above ways is necessary for the legitimate interests of Gates Cambridge in operating and improving its websites, analysing their use, and ensuring their security. Our websites collect very little personal information and we use it in ways that are compatible with your individual rights and freedoms. Where you enter your personal information into an online form on any of our websites for any specified purpose, you will be told about the use we will make of that information (e.g. to send you newsletters or to enable your attendance at an event).
For more information about how we handle your personal information, and your rights under data protection legislation, please see https://www.gatescambridge.org/data-protection/.
This policy was last updated on 26 October 2022